Those Little Glass Slippers (4)

by Sela Locke

Thanks to all you faithful followers of this fatefully fanatic tale! I know it mayn't look like I've taken all your advice, but right now, I'm rather more writing than editing. All your compliments, suggestions, and criticisms have been taken into account! Thank you for them, and please keep in mind that this is only loosely following the fairytale, Cinderella. Loosely. Very loosely. Ahem! Yes, and I hope you enjoy chapter four! ; )

The bitterness of that day was like a slow poison to me – I kept my left hand, the one with his ring on it, tucked behind me where neither Chelsea nor my mother could see it, on the ride home. I knew they would notice it if I kept it on, but I had no intention of doing anything but tossing the horrid little thing in a chamber pot somewhere, the moment we arrived home.

“Oh, Chelsea, it is so beautiful! Genuine sapphires, you say?” Mother was just as enthusiastic – if not more so – as Chelsea about her betrothal. I hoped she would be as happy when she found out about Duke Warrington, no matter how the news reached her. Disposing of the ring, I realized sadly, would not dispose of the duke himself.

“Come back down for tea when you’ve changed, won’t you, dear?” Mother said to me as I made my way up the stairs.

“Y-yes, Mother. It shan’t take me long, I’ll be down in just a moment.” I nearly tripped over one of the red-carpeted steps at that point, in such a hurry was I to escape to my bedchamber.

However, when I had finally escaped to the deepest reaches of my rooms, I began to wish I’d never left the carriage with Duke Warrington. I tugged at the ring, wet and oiled my finger in turn to get it off, but all three attempts came to naught. It, quite simply, would not release its hold on my finger.

With a moan of defeat, I slumped onto my bed. Father had known how much I loved blue, for I had told him so the moment I moved from the cradle in my parent’s chambers to the space I occupied now. Everything around me, from the wallpaper to the rug and carpets, even to the coverlets and pillows of the bed, was blue. Blue, or, if I couldn’t get it, a dark wood I always forgot the name of.

I finally succumbed to my curiosity, studying the ring closely at last. It was a thin silver wire, twisted ‘round a gold one, to form a circular band. On the front, facing up towards me, there was a ruby, with the length and breadth of the top of a thimble. In the very center of that bloodred stone, was a minute diamond, melded together with the ruby so well, I could see neither crack nor seam.

As I examined and – grudgingly – admired the beautiful little object, I almost began to ask, Why me? Why did the sickeningly wealthy Duke Warrington want to marry me? But I stopped myself, for I already knew why. My father was the second most powerful man in all of Ape’erafer, as I had once told Prince Kharles. He was King Manfred’s closest advisor in all things, not to mention almost as rich as the duke himself. Marrying the eldest daughter of such a man was a wise move, and Duke Warrington knew it. Hadn’t I been readied for this? For marrying a man who would love me no more than I would love him – that is to say, not at all.

Yes. And I am rather fortunate he isn’t old, balding, and quite portly, I told myself. Somewhere deep in my heart and mind, I had always wanted more than a safe little marriage to some nobleman. Somehow, hiding in the darkest depths of my soul, there hid a little girl, always waiting for her true love, her handsome knight to come and sweep her away, carry her off to adventure and a happy ending.

But that knight would never come. Tears rolled silently down my cheeks, and I fought to think of things besides my husband-to-be as I changed from my stiff dress into something slightly more comfortable. If only I had been born as Chelsea, as the one who grew and matured with her betroth merely waiting to swoop in and propose. And I’d had just that, until Princess Eloise danced gracefully into my future. Why couldn’t she have married Duke Warrington, and left Kharles to me? I knew that no matter how many times I relived his sinful kiss, some part of me would still love His Highness – and there wasn’t anything to prevent that. Could I learn to love another? No, said a cruel voice in my head, and I felt for all the world as if it were right.

“Milady, do you require me to help you into your evening dress?” squeaked Liza, knocking timidly at the door. I smiled, hastily brushing to tears from my face. I would have to tell Chelsea and Mother sometime, and if I did not, Father surely would. I rather wanted to be the one to inform them, to break the news as gently as I could.

“That’s quite all right, Liza, I’ve managed it myself.” I smoothed out the peach-colored dress, simple as most of my gowns were. The mirror, once looked into, informed me that my face was mostly dry, and the little bit of red still clinging to my nose and cheeks could be allotted to excitement before sadness. I let my hair fall from its messy bun, tying it back with a ribbon before meeting Liza in the hall.

“Where are we having tea today, Liza?” I asked, relieved there was no tremor to my voice. She led me down the stairs, and past the kitchen and dining room, into Mother’s plush little sitting room. Chelsea was already there, dressed in trailing silk gown. She looked just as beautiful as ever in her deep purple dress, with those little white ruffles clinging to the long sleeves. I smiled first at her, and then Mother, still with my ring-fingered hand behind my back.

“Mother, before we speak of lighter things, I have s-something to tell you,” I said, seating myself beside Chelsea. Trying to mimic something like elegant calm, I draped one hand over the arm of the sofa, leaning back against the soft cushions. “Father h-has offered my hand in marriage to someone.” It tumbled out in the most disgraceful way, and I was sure for a moment that Chelsea would gasp, or shoot me a reproving glare.

She did neither, but turned immediately to stare at me, round eyes wide with surprise. “Oh, Delle! Who is it?”

Mother looked as stiff and ladylike as ever, but for a moment, I thought I saw something like pride flit across her face. Proud, because I do not seem to mind being betrothed so soon after Kharles’s wedding, I thought.

“Father, King Manfred, and – and Duke Warrington of Jharrim were speaking of the war, early this morn. Father knew, I believe, that Prince Kharles was n-no longer an option, and told His Excellency such. Th-they decided that the best, most peaceful tie to prevent war between Ape’erafer and Jharrim would be marriage. Who else to offer but the Grand Count’s eldest daughter?” I said, and couldn’t prevent the bitterness that stung my words.

“But this is wonderful, Mariadelle! I was concerned after – well, the prince’s wedding, that ‘twould be heard to find you a suitable husband, but look how the gods bless us! Duke Warrington of Jharrim, royalty itself!” Mother exclaimed, eyes shining with thoughts of the future.

“And, remember, Sea, when that man came up and asked for a word with me?” I looked to Chelsea, and she nodded, eyes still as wide as dinner plates.

“Yes, of course! Was that he, was that Duke Warrington? He was so very handsome, Delle,” giggled Chelsea, and I looked quickly at my hands, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks. He had been rather handsome, once I put thoughts of dislike aside. Besides, it wasn’t like me to so ungrateful…

“Yes, that was he. He had come to tell me about the – the betrothal, and before we parted, he gave me this.”

There were gasps of admiration as both my mother and sister examined the ring. “That must be terribly expensive,” breathed Mother, stroking the pea-sized ruby. “What else did he say, other than news of the arrangement?”

I smiled ever so slightly at the looks of amazement on both of their faces, but the expression faded as I remembered what he’d said.

Your father was most enthusiastic – it could prevent the war! Not that I wouldn’t be slightly disappointed at that, but you, I’m sure, could distract me from my woeful emotions... I remembered him saying, and with that dreadful grin tugging at his lips. My stomach turned over, and I felt, with horrible suddenness, as if I were trapped.

The remainder of the day I spent imagining daring escapes, clever ways to worm my way out of marrying the duke. Every time the voice of reason began to speak up in my mind, I thought of that smile, the distraction he was expecting me to be, and the voice quieted. Throughout tea, embroidery, and supper, I fantasized a world where one didn’t have to marry if one didn’t want to, a world where no such people like Duke Warrington existed.

Father wasn’t home until long after supper, looking less exhausted and more bright-eyed, like Mother. He, I realized, must be just as happy about the arranged marriage as the rest of the household. Before I retired to bed, as Liza was stoking the fire and helping me into my nightdress, she could talk of nothing but the wedding – or, weddings – of the two Tadstreet girls, Chelsea and I.

“What did he look like, milady?” she finally asked, after wearing out the subject of what my wedding dress should be made of. I blinked once, twice, trying to tear myself from the depths of my newfound fantasy world, and turned to smile feebly at her.

“He was foreigner, from the coal-black hair atop his head, to the very tips of his toes. He had dark skin, rather like chocolate, and deep brown eyes, that danced and twinkled when he laughed,” I murmured, and I heard her sigh longingly behind me. “Perhaps he will visit soon, and you’ll see for yourself how handsome he is. Good night, Liza.”

Liza curtsied, backing quickly from the room. “Good night, milady.”

The next few days were spent in premature preparations for Chelsea’s wedding, mostly with Chelsea sitting in an armchair by the fire and embroidering her name and Jarald’s upon various bits of fabrics, or helping Mother sketch different prospective gowns. I spent my days shut up in my rooms, or wandering through the gardens and trying not to cry at the thought of Duke Warrington.

At last, a week after I’d gotten the ring forced onto my finger by my husband-to-be, news of the duke arrived.

“Monsieur Kellith, Madame Arasiel, Mademoiselles Mariadelle and Chelsea, I have a message from Duke Percival de Torre Warrington. He wishes to, ‘drop in for a spot of tea,’ if the inhabitants of the Grand Count’s manor have no other plans,” announced the messenger, still catching his breath from the long journey.

“He is invited to our manor at any time, with open arms!” Father boomed, mustache quivering slightly. His ruddy red cheeks seemed to be the only thing I had not inherited, thankfully. I often wondered how a man so thin and, some said, short, could manage to possess such a very loud voice.

“Then he shall be here this afternoon, in time for two o’clock tea,” said the messenger, in somewhat quieter tones, and was gone from the sitting room before any could say another word.

“I – I should prepare myself,” I said calmly, and I strode purposefully up the stairs to my rooms.

My calm did not last anywhere beyond my bedchamber’s door. I flung myself onto the sofa, and I wept. Every time my eyes closed, I heard his voice, saw his greedy smile. Was I embellishing upon a simple truth, or was he as horrible as I imagined? By the time I found out, I’d be safely married, and there would be no going back. Hours could have passed between the time I went up from the sitting room, or perhaps merely minutes, but when the answer finally came to me, it came in an unexpected flash.

I would have to run.

No, said the lady, the sensible side of me, No, you shouldn’t run. Marry him, just as Mother married Father: not because she wanted to, but because she was told to. But what was right?

I comforted myself with the idea that, perchance, he had only seemed like a bad man – that I was being… silly, overdramatic. Fixing the thought in my mind, I stifled my fear and stood, knowing I would have to face him soon, and when I did, I might just learn something of his true nature.

“Liza! Come here!”

Liza came stumbling in, her familiar smile exceptionally bright at the prospect of an unexpected visitor. “Will you bring me down with you, milady, when he arrives? Oh, such short notice, he must be dashingly romantic,” she squealed, and I shot her an I-do-not-want-to-talk-about-it look. “Sorry, milady. I just—”

“I understand, Liza. I’ll take you down with me, if you stop that infernal squeaking,” I said, and heard her giggle as she searched for a suitable dress in my bureau.

“How about this one, milady? It’s just the color of your eyes.” She held up a flower-embroidered gown, and it did remind me of my – and I flinched at the description, considering the prince had said it first – ocean-colored eyes. After a moment’s deliberation, I nodded, and Liza helped me switch dresses.

A half-hour later, I stood before the full-body mirror beside my bed, while Liza fastened a thin silver rope ‘round my neck. I look critically up and down the bell-skirted dress, and asked Liza to tighten the gray silk ribbon that was tied around my waist three times before I was satisfied with it. Why did I want to impress the duke? Perhaps because the day I’d met him, my hair had fallen away from its clips, long and tangled, my face flushed from crying, and I didn’t mean to make such a disgraceful appearance again.

“That will do, Liza. Do go and tell Mother I’ll be down in just a moment,” I said, and waited until I heard the door shut softly behind me before rushing over to my dark-wooded desk. I tugged one last time at the silver-and-gold ring, pulled and yanked at it until there was a distinct band of raw red skin ‘round Duke Warrington’s gift, but the ring itself stayed tight upon my finger.

I walked slowly to the door, drawing out every step until my hand was resting on the silver knob. One deep breath and twenty steps later, I descended the last red-carpeted stair into the front hall. Everything that normally looked so home-like, so comfortable, seemed unfamiliar, from the long green rug leading to the huge oak doors, to the little table with Mother’s freshest roses resting in their little white vase.

The sitting room door was opened so I could just see a sliver of the open window beyond, shining in to cast what I always imagined as a warm, soft glow upon the tables and chair, sofas and the empty brick hearth of Mother’s favorite space. I listened hard, trying to place those inside and where they sat – eavesdropping seemed to be becoming a habit, and I was not sure if I should be ashamed of it.

“I’m sorry Mariadelle hasn’t come downstairs yet, Your Excellency. She is always so very punctual, I can’t imagine what’s keeping her!” Mother said, and my heart seemed to stop as another voice replied; one I knew, and all too well.

“Quite all right, I can assure you, Madame Tadstreet. I’ve found she has, ah, an aversion to royalty, since that nasty business with Prince Kharles.” Duke Warrington chuckled, and I could just imagine that knowing little smile on his face.

“I know what you mean – what I still can’t understand is why she never met us at the wedding! At first I thought she must have found someone else to sit with, but then I didn’t see her at the banquet either. Did you, Chelsea?”

But before anyone could say another word, I tentatively nudged the door open, putting one, and then the other foot firmly inside so I couldn’t turn around and back out again. I looked first at the duke, in his spotless evergreen breeches and loose white undershirt, sleeves tightened slightly at the wrists by gold buttons. He wore a vest the color of his breeches over the shirt, and I remembered vaguely seeing his black traveling cloak hanging on one of the hooks by the front door. His face was suddenly alight with that secretive smile, as though he thought I was the only other to see it, and wanted to remind me of where I stood, in his eyes.

“Your Excellency,” I said quietly, curtsying before I seated myself beside Mother.

“Milady, have you been keeping well?” he asked, and I nodded once. “And where is the other Tadstreet girl; Mademoiselle Chelsea?”

“She had an engagement with Sir Matheson, and sends her greetings and apologies,” Father said in his deep bass voice, with that gracious smile he wore so often.

There was the slightest pause, and then I heard Mother make the tiniest gasp from where she sat on my right, snatching up my hand from its resting place. “Dear, whatever happened to your hand?” she said.

I glanced up, and saw the expression on the duke’s face change from one of curiosity to coy realization. A smirk tugged at one corner of his mouth, and he turned to ask Father, “What did you say about His Majesty, before Mademoiselle Mariadelle arrived?”

Father frowned for a moment, trying to remember, and then laughed, bouncing up as though he weighed naught. “It completely slipped my mind! I must go, ladies and sir – the king wishes updates on… a certain happening.” His bright eyes flitted from me to the duke, and back, and then he was out the door before we could ask any more about it.

“And you, Your Excellency, how have you fared since our – our last meeting?” I only stumbled once, when I remembered the circumstances of the last time I had seen him; he didn’t miss the stutter, from the way his lips twitched upwards.

“Oh, quite well. Missing our enlightening conversations, of course, but otherwise, things have been going smoothly.”

Mother opened her mouth, but I never found out what she planned to say, for her lady-in-waiting came in at that moment, and said in a rush, “The milkman has arrived, but for some reason he won’t give us a single ounce without being paid by the Grand Countess herself, he says. Will you see to him, Madame?””

“I’ll come with you, Emmaline. I’m so sorry for the interruption, Your Excellency,” she said to Duke Warrington, but he waved away the worry in her voice with a graceful flutter of his hand and a simple nod of his head. Mother followed Emmaline out the sitting room door without further hesitation, still murmuring her apologies.

The duke stood, and stepped around the table to help me rise. “Would you fancy a walk in the garden while Madame Tadstreet is occupied, milady?”

“If ‘tis your wish, milord,” I said, smiling with a demure flutter of my eyelashes.

“Ah, obedience, the crowning jewel of the good wife,” he said, linking my arm through his as we proceeded out the backdoor, into the gardens beyond. We strolled in silence for some minutes before he seemed to find the place he’d been looking for: a small wooden bench beside my favorite little fountain.

He stepped away from me, taking up my left hand and studying the finger on which clung his ring. “It won’t come off, you know,” he said quietly, looking up into my eyes. “It just so happens to be enchanted – the owner, and no other, has the power to take it off.”

I stared at him in disbelief, stared into those deep, almost depthless brown eyes, mouthing words I couldn’t quite give voice to.

“Watch,” he said. Gently, carefully, he set thumb and forefinger atop and under the ring, and slid it off with ease that set my heart into a strange and uneven beat. “I should have told you before, but I rather wanted you to find it out for yourself. You won’t try to take it off again, will you?”

It wasn’t, I knew immediately, a request. He brought my hand up, level with his lips, and kissed it softly. After the slightest pause, the ugly red rash that had formed around my finger faded, and he slipped the ring back onto it.

“Th-thank you, milord.” I couldn’t find anything else to say, so I turned to walk back towards the manor. He caught my wrist before I could take a single step, pulling me back so suddenly I fell against him.

“I think I would kiss you, milady, but perhaps you’ve had enough excitement for today,” he said, both arms encircling my waist so as to keep me close.

I don’t know why I did it – I didn’t love him, I wasn’t the slightest bit drawn to him, and in the end, I allotted it to my determination to prove him wrong in every respect, but I could never forget what I did after he said that. Standing up on my tiptoes, I threw my arms around his neck, and kissed him.

And then I fainted.

Strange, strange, but then she never was a normal girl. You will review, won't you?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:53 am
Jas wrote a review...

ZOMG! Your 14?!? Yayzers! I can now reassure myself that the fact that you are two years older than me gives you rights to be better! Well my subconscious disagrees you'd probably be better if you were 5 and I was 28 but never mind that. Anyway, (what's with my recent obsession with anyway's and suddenlys?), I again loved this but I'd like to see more of the Prince and Eloise...well she's Cinderella in my mind. Put more of her, the prince and that handsome dude who stopped her from spaz-falling down the stairs.

~Jasmine Bells~
Peace, Love, Writing and Chocolate

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 am
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...

Ooh, the romantic intrigue continues...

1) The whole bit with Mariadelle doing her own hair and clothes felt weird. Yes, the maid pops in to ask about helping her, but she refuses. Actually, it really was the maid's job to do the clothes because they were so difficult for the person wearing them to handle. So, she would have been having a hard time on her own. Not to mention that a lot of nobles didn't even know how to do their clothes, just because they were constantly being dressed by other people.

2) The kiss at the end seemed really strange. I know you talk about how she doesn't even know why she did it, but the whole thing comes off as very contrived. I don't really like it... Mariadella is becoming more of a less-likable character as the chapters progress and she angsts.

3) I want to see more of Chelsea. I really do. She seems so cute and bubbly and innocent. I want to see her and for her to be happy and just... *sigh* Yeah, I want to see more of her. But of course, seeing as how my recent first impressions have turned out about characters, I'm maintaining a healthy level of skepticism.

But seriously, are you really 14? Geez... I will never again be able to hold my head up as a writer...

Keep on writing. Seriously, you rock.

~GryphonFledgling

Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 pm
EllyMelly wrote a review...

Good Afternoon, Sela.

One thing that I noticed about titles in this historical piece, is that something was a little off. After learning about different stages of titles in various eras, this is what it is in example to the Duke:
1) Duke of Warrington
2) Marquis/Marquises of...
3) Earl of...
4) Viscount...
5) Baron...
Because Warrington is a Duke you have to have the of. Unless he's a Viscount.

The magic of the engagement ring was cute, but I was hoping that Warrington would be more of a scoundrel. I was thinking someone like Willoughby (Sense and Sensibility) and Wickam (Pride and Prejudice). I don't know, I guess I'll have to read on.

Anyway, I'm planning to read on. Quite beautifully written!

Melly

un-insane peyton (hopeful wrote a review...

:D Love it!!!! All the charicters are well made. I'll read the book as soon it comes out and probly not put it down for hours. It's easy to keep up with yet complex. I love the discriptions expectly this part; “He was foreigner, from the coal-black hair atop his head, to the very tips of his toes. He had dark skin, rather like chocolate, and deep brown eyes, that danced and twinkled when he laughed,” :D :D :D

SheepMonoxide says...

You have to write more, soon. Or else I'll have blood on my hands. o.o'

Sela Locke says...

Thanks, all ye faithful supporters of TLGS! I know it's been a long time since I last posted, but I trying to finish and then edit it before I put any more on. Please be patient while I make it as good as possible! ^^

-SELA

lil-mizzkitty1 wrote a review...

hi loved this chapter its different to the others though. i was wondering was the reason she

kissed the Duke as a kind of revenge? like in the other episodes do you think she will

show-off around the prince. also i like the fact that she is extremely unpredictable it leaves

you think what will she do next?

lil-mizzkitty1

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:21 pm
KJ wrote a review...

Okay, I did like it, but the ending I found troubling. All that ran through my mildly annoyed mind was WHY. WHY did she just jump up and kiss him? WHY did she faint? I feel like you don't even know who your MC is and expect us to somehow. At times she seems angry and bitter, other times logical, other times cool and condescending. I don't like having to read about a character whose personality is bouncing around like a roller coaster.

My main advice is to be consistent. Yes, characters can be emotional and unpredictable. I know this. But your MC is unrealistic. If she hates the guy, is still partly in love with the prince, has a broken heart, is angry and hardened, then she's not going to do this. And WHY, again, did she faint? Was the kiss that wild? Really? She was fine before. She hadn't even done anything that day.

So I guess that's the end of my rant. Just doesn't add up, to me. Sorry if this seems harsh - I am enjoying the story so far, believe it or not. It's unique and the twist on the original fairy tale is enjoyable.

So keep writing. Feel free to PM me if or when you edit or continue this.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 pm
Lauren wrote a review...

Hi :]

please keep in mind that this is only loosely following the fairytale, Cinderella. Loosely. Very loosely.

The thing is, it doesn't seem like it... even loosely. The part part did but then, I find, the rest was not. Even if loosely based on it, one would still expect some similarities. If this were to get published, you would in no way be able to market it as 'loosely following the fairytale'.

On to the story...

I've read it through and I liked it. It has maintained the same level as the part three. My only grumble is that it's all rather childish and naive, but then I'm a fan of adult fiction more than light fiction. For its genre, I find it well executed and full of fun & surprises. Unlike the others reviewers, I really liked that she kissed him at the end. Shows she is battling with her feelings for him. There's chemistry there, bubbling away! I would have loved to have seen how Duke Warrington reacted, but alas...
One thing I would warn is that Warrington's becoming a bit of a stereotype. The teasing, arrogant, but over-all charming man... I'm sensing a kind of Pride & Prejudice-type romance, except that Mariadelle embodies both those flaws. I would really like it if Duke Warrington was later shown to have a more calm, sensitive side... we shall see.

Onwards with part five, pwetty pwease :D

Lauren 8)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:04 am
ChernobyllyInclined wrote a review...

Good, good. Never forget to like your story. As Chesterton says, you'll never truly make something amazing until you love it. Nope, that's not exactly what he said. But it works. So, love it. Promise.

Anyhow, this chapter seemed very confused about itself. I think you might need to take a step back and . . . reassess. Questions. We need to answer some questions.

Alright, so this is what you have so far: There is a girl who is fairly compliant, sweet--people-pleaser, for the most part. But then she gets sorely screwed over, right? Like, really bad. And so, even taking into consideration her easy-going personality, she is going to be majorly PISSED OFF. She will, presumably, lose her temper, and then she'll feel bad about it. She'll wish that she would have kept her want for revenge to herself. She doubts her love for the prince: was he really who she thought he was? But then another problem is introduced. Her father wants to marry her off to someone she doesn't love. She is conflicted: she respects the tradition of arranged marriages, she is even considering going along with it, and then something happens. Something she discovers about ANYTHING; something sinister and disgusting. Then she runs away.

What you have right now is just a rough outline of what I've kind of laid out. It can't seem to decide what it is. It can't seem to decide what kind of person Mariadelle is, or Kharles, or Warrington. But if you can integrate something of what I've given you, just to keep the consistency, this could be really fun. Like really.

Go ahead. I dare you.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 pm
Bittersweet wrote a review...

Yay, chapter 4!

So, I'm sure you don't want too many nitpicks, but I still have a few to bring up. For instance, you do a lot of the "T-talking l-like this - this" sort of thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing to use. Generally, it's a good tool, but not when it's used too much. I think you may want to cut down on some of yours. Use it sparingly. It just gets rather tiresome. ;)

Another nitpick I have is your use of '`round'. I think it's fine to use it in dialogue, but when it's just Mariadelle telling the story... it seems a little out of place. I totally understand that it's how people speak and say things in the time your story takes place in, but I'd suggest just keeping the '`round' and the '`twas' for dialogue.

As for the actual story, my question, like Stella, is why she would kiss him? I know she says she doesn't know why she did, but that's not really a satisfying reason. I mean... it seems totally out of her character. If I were her, I'd be mortified I did that. Give us a valid reason! We want answers! Does she somehow sort of like him, despite how much she wants to hate him?

I'm also thinking that maybe you need to somewhere have a flashback or something of Mariadelle and Prince Kharles together. Because, as the reader, I'm having the hardest time grasping the relationship there was between the two. If you show us why she likes him so much, it'd be easier. You know, maybe he was a friend to her when she didn't have any. Maybe he did a kind act of service for her, or gave her attention or something! Just show us how Mariadelle could have seen a Prince Kharles that's different from what we see now. Because, otherwise, I just see a jerkwad. xD

I'd also suggest making Warrington's character more profound. I can catch a glimpse of him as you see him, but there's not much else there. Work on him a little more. ;)

As for this chapter, I think the story's coming along nicely. This chapter's quite believable, save the bit about her kissing him. It reads a lot like a book, you know. That's an awesome thing to achieve! I know I haven't given you much praise in this review, but that's because I'd be repeating myself. :P All the praises I've given you already I still mean! I just think your story needs quite a bit of polishing. But after being polished, I think you've got an awesome novel-to-be here!

-Holly

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm
xDudettex wrote a review...

Hey =]

I enjoyed this chapter just as much as the others and am still hooked!

I still love the way you describe the settings and characters, it makes it really easy to picture whats happening in my head. I think it flows really well too and is moving at a steady pace - not rushed anywhere.

Will be reading the next part =]

xDudettex

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Yay!!

Ape’erafer

Just got it -happy ever after, right? Funny!

Okay, no nitpicks, so just some general stuff...

-Characterisation: what I didn't get was how was she ever in love with Kharles in the first place? When we saw him he seemed rather ridiculous and annoying. Even still, he's married now! And throughout you do show some sense of that, but why does she kiss Warrington at the end (despite the fact he does seem quite the Mr. Darcy.) But why? Also, why the need to impress him? They're already engaged, though she feels nothing towards him. But the idea that he will break off the engagement is unlikely- didn't he agree without ever seeing her? She seems sensible enough, wouldn't she think that stuff through?

-Relationships: in stories like this, I always think that the dynamic between mistress and maid is an interesting one - in my own story, Owl Eyes, Dilly the maid is Nicole's closest friend, advisor, confidante and near-sister. In what I hope will be my first novel, two of my main characters are a princess and her maid - and the status thing becomes a touchy subject. So I liked to see Liza and Mariadelle interacting, but it might be worth spending a little time thinking about their relationship, is Mariadelle closer to Liza or Chelsea? How well do they get on, etc.?

Also that of her and her father, who we see here for what I believe is the first time. Do they get on well? Is she a daddy's girl?

Overall though, really enjoyable, and looking forward to the next bit!

Hope I helped,

Stella x

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42